Thursday, July 5, 2012

introverts and art

My boyfriend, Kurt, posted The Stranger's Confessions of an Extreme Introvert on Facebook, and after I read it, I realized more about him, and more about myself.

I am not an extreme introvert, neither am I an introvert. He is, but also not extreme.
I think we both used to be slightly like the girl in the mentioned blog... I changed (if that's even possible -- maybe I wasn't an introvert in the first place, but just really mistaken) and he just learned to embrace his extroversion (if that's even possible, too -- being both extra and introvert).
When Kurt is too long out of his comfort zone, he tends to tire. I might have been like that, but not physically exhausted, just bored of what I'm not used to doing.
I used to enjoy solitude, until it became damaging. But I still long for it at times.

There were days when I could fill entire sketchpad pages and half of my school notes with doodles, and words, lyrics, or really expressive illustrations... I used to make a lot of poems, that I wanted to morph into songs one day. In that state, I was more inspired, somehow, because whenever I try to doodle out of boredom, I am not as satisfied with the outcome. I tell myself "I know I am capable of sketching that down better than this, I know I have before." And I can't bring myself to fill the page. So I surmise it's not a hobby, not a skill, but something that is born out of real concentration, which introverts constantly attain, and which I now only attain when I sit somewhere in silence for quite some time, focusing on things happening around me. All the other times, I am very distracted.

By the way, Kurt wrote a lot of good songs -- I wish I had a professional recording device, or studio to make him famous, because his songs are pure love and awesomeness -- and I get all excited when he's working on a new one. But recently he says he can't come up with anything good.

What I am thinking is that true introverts are the real artists, and if they are disturbed, and forced to become extroverts, they don't produce the same genius things. I think that's their significance, and I would sit in silence for one whole day with Kurt, if it meant he would come up with more songs, poetry or perhaps, drawings.

No comments:

Post a Comment